Wednesday, February 14, 2007

 

Time and Google Earth

It just seems that we do not have for anything. Today after listening to Mike Porter's presentation on Google Earth, I realized that it could be used for so much more than finding my house. I would love to do a travelog of Darwin's travels to the Galapagos using Google Earth, supplemented with pictures of the various finches and other animals that he discovered. Also the whole Ebola or Avian flu outbreaks to be traced would be great. However I just do not see how I can put in the time to make them. Would it be possible to have students do these types of presentations for independent studies? Give them ideas of what we are looking for and let them create. I believe that these types of presentations, where they are actually seeing it rather than reading it would be fantastic, and enjoyable. I think that they have the time to do it, it would be used throughout the world and they should recieve credit for it. Do high school students really have anything tangible that they walk away from school with? I am thinking about doing a long term project like this in summer school.

Comments:
Great ideas on using Google Earth in your classroom. I think that with just a bit of training, kids will be able to really pick this up and run with it. It sounds like you're planning to teach summer school--I'll be around most of the summer. I'd be happy to come into your class and help roll out the program. I'm interested to see where the kids take an assignment like this!

Mike
 
I have not ever heard of Google Earth before. I am going to have to check it out. I've learned more about technology this year than ever before!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?