Friday, January 27, 2006

 

545-1-27

I have been having a problem in class trying to cover all of the material that is required and trying to incorporate more student driven learning. In Biology I really let the students ask any question that they would like, and are interested in. I believe that this causes students to be more engaged, however, it seems like I cannot cover everything that is included on the test. Is this okay? I believe that this will put more responsibility on students to read and comprehend material outside of class, but will they actually do it?

Comments:
There are definitely no easy answers to this one. As you know, I'm a strong believer in covering concepts in-depth even if that means not covering as much. But you still face the realities of your curriculum and your colleagues' expectations.

I know you are probably already doing this, but - if not - you should consider presenting this to your students. Discuss with them the trade-offs, and that in order to make your class more interesting, engaging, and relevant, they are going to have to take more control over their learning. And more intitiative to do some of the "grunt" work on their own. That you think they are capable of handling this responsibility and that it is definitely the best thing for them, but that it will only work if they follow through. Then see how they respond.
 
Personally Mr. Wallace, it is working for me. This does "force" me to look at the textbooks and notes to reference some data. Honestly, I do not do some of the readings, but once I do not understanding something, its right to the online textbook. I believe Ms. Crosby, gives her class the same type of responsiblilty, for them to read the book on their own.

I think its the matter of adjusting to this pattern of teaching. I'm sure all of us will get the hang of this.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?