Thursday, January 19, 2006

 

545 1-19

I recall Mary Habas talking about her class and how there are always students that fight the constructivist methods. Last class, in Biology, I had several students hit that point becasue I would not tell them the answer and I also made them think if the answers that I did give them were even right. I basically told them that I could lie to them all day long and they would not even know. Their response was disbelief that a teacher would do that because it is our job to give them the right answer. I then asked them why the answer had to be right if a teacher told them and they responded with "because you know more". Which I have to agree is true, however is the knowledge that I am trying to impart to them actually correct or did someone lie to me and then I incorporated that lie into my truth? I just told them that they are the ones that have to decide if what I say is true or not. Don't take things for granted. I would love to teach a whole lesson and then tell them that 50% of what I said was untrue and they have to decide what is "truth" and what is not.

Comments:
Well, why don't you do that? Maybe not a whole lesson, but the first 25-30 minutes of class - then use the rest of the class time to have them figure out what was correct. Make them assemble evidence to "prove" that they know what was correct and what was not.

The other point to make with them, of course, is that ultimately they will exit school and there won't be anyone there to tell them anymore what is "correct." That they have to learn to think for themselves and that they can't count on somebody who "knows more than them." If everybody thought that way, the human race would never learn anything new . . .
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?